Skip to main content

Meet RAD Artist Mel Kadel

THE BASICS
 

Name:
Mel Kadel

Residence:
Los Angeles

Occupation:
Artist
Mel Kadel portrait

We caught up with artist Mel Kadel to talk about her process, inspiration, and her original piece Dots & Daisies - featured on The Original Puffy 1-Person and Junior sizes, and Beer Blanket as part of this season of the Rumpl Artist Division.

Your work has a vintage feel. What process do you use to get new materials to have the classic, aged look and feel?

I would always rip out the blank pages of old books that were super yellowed, and I’d go through all the thrift stores and buy up all the books and tear the sheets out. But that limits. You can only use a little bit of pen, and you can’t use water, and it’s very fragile that way.

I wanted something where I could get that same beautiful old tone- you know that soft yellow that has an old-fashioned feel, and I just like the way that matches to bright colors, so to mimic that, I started staining very heavy paper with coffee. I use this 300 lb Arches paper- it’s super strong. It almost feels like thin wood. And I really tear each corner precisely, so it builds this natural edge. Then, I brew my Folgers coffee (I, for some reason, have stuck with Folgers). I take it out to a board in the sun. I lay the paper out. I splash water on it and let the water sit for a second. And then, when the coffee hits that, it sort of soaks into the paper. I let the sun soak it in and give it a second coat right before it starts to dry for a few days.

Mel Kadel holding her flower Rumpl blanket
Mel kadel painting flowers for Rumpl
Mel Kadel pouring coffee on paper

How would you describe your work? What do the subjects in your pieces represent?

I think it’s very intimate. It’s strong and gentle at the same time. It’s illustrative. I guess I’d describe it as an emotional/psychological blend of imagery. I draw this girl often, and they always ask if that’s me. I think I reach for my emotional and psychological journeys, and then I assign that to this other person (the girl), but it really is coming out of my thoughts, my growth, personal battles, and things like that.

Mel kadel painting flowers at her desk

"I think I reach for my emotional and psychological journeys, and then I assign that to this other person (the girl), but it really is coming out of my thoughts,
my growth, personal battles,
and things like that.
"

mel kadel's painting of a woman
Woman sitting on a couch with a flower beer blanket and flower rumpl blanket

Your work (including Dots & Daisies) has a ton of bright colors and whimsical patterns. What do you like most about this particular print being printed on Rumpl products?

I’m crazy about doing florals on anything that’s wearable or that you can interact with because my work is so narrative, but these are the elements that I think work best on something that can be used and can be enjoyed.

Dots & Daisies is a pattern I’ve always wanted to see at that scale and enjoyed by people outdoors, springtime, flowers. I mean the whole thing. I am just thrilled with it. I love how it turned out because I just want more flowers in the world.

Dog wrapped in Dots & Daisies Rumpl blanket
Mel Kadel painting flowers for rumpl blanket
Rumpl | Original Puffy Blanket - Woven Daydream | 1-Person | | Printed Original
Rumpl | NanoLoft Puffy Blanket | Keep Me Warm | Solid Nanoloft
Rumpl | Woven Daydream | Down Puffy Blanket
Sold out
Sold out
Sold out


from Rumpl - Journal https://ift.tt/3tFFerD
https://ift.tt/3qo2uIU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet RAD Artist: Courtenay Pollock

THE BASICS   Name: Courtenay Pollock Residence: Powell River, British Columbia, Canada Occupation: Tie Dye Artist The Rumpl Artist Division (R.A.D.) is a collaborative program that showcases the work of accomplished and upcoming artists who use diverse mediums to inspire creativity in impassioned communities around the world.   LEARN MORE > How did you discover tie dye? The first tie dye I saw was this beautiful woman wearing a tie dyed robe. She was gorgeous and I thought to myself, “I could do stuff with this”. She and her friend used to model for me when I was starting out. I'd set up a stage in the boutique and would wrap them in different exotic fabrics. I’d create live costumery and would sell them as we would make them. What was your first commission? There was a woman opening a meditation room and my first commission was to tie dye the meditation room. She wanted the walls and the floors to all be in one continuous de

Adventure & Cozy Vol 2

A weekly blog by Rumpl dedicated to all things Adventure & Cozy! We include stories from around the world, epic photos, timely memes, buzzin’ playlists, and of course –– the cool things Rumpl customers share with us! This Week’s Newsletter What To Watch 🎥 What To Read 📚 Photo of the Week 📸 Where to Travel 🚁 What to Listen To 🎶 QUICK HITS 📰 Red Bull Heavy Metal was Duluth, Minnesota’s first Street Snowboarding competition since 2003 During the pandemic, a chick named Iniko became an ambassador for conservation from her redwood nest. Meet the Woman who helped set a speed record on a classic alpine ski route   LEARNING TO DROWN - THE NORTH FACE Learning to Drown follows the life and career of professional snowboarder Jess Kimura as she unapologetically shatters stereotypes with her own brand of unwavering determination and go-for-broke mentality. After the tragic death of Jess's partner at the height of her career, she spiraled in

What to bring on a camping trip?

Are you planning your first camping trip? If so, you want it to be fun and exciting. You want to explore the beauty of nature in an adventurous yet comfortable way. Well, there’s no better way to achieve that than ensuring that you remember to pack all the necessary items for your camping trip. “What items?” you may wonder. Well, this article is specifically written for you to help you pack effectively for your camping trip. In turn, ensuring you enjoy it to the fullest.                             The first step to deciding what to pack for your camping trip would be figuring out what kind of camping you want to do. Is it backpacking or car camping? This information is essential to the planning phase. You get to know the amount of packing space you are working with. As such, you can choose the most essential things depending on the amount of space. When car camping, you have a lot of packing space in the trunk of your car, which means you can pack more items including luxuries to ens