Skip to main content

Meet RAD Artist: Aaron Kai

THE BASICS
 

Name:
Aaron Kai

Residence:
Lose Angeles, California

Occupation:
Artist
Profile image of RAD Artist Aaron Kai with his signature Hokusai Great Wave. artwork on a surfboard behind him.

The Rumpl Artist Division (R.A.D.) is a collaborative program that showcases the work of accomplished and upcoming artists who use diverse mediums to inspire creativity in impassioned communities around the world.  LEARN MORE >

Hailing from Hilo, Hawaii, artist, husband, and father, Aaron Kai brings his signature interpretation of the Hokusai Great Wave to The Original Puffy Blanket.

 

What’s your name, where are you from, and what do you do?

My name is Aaron Kai. I’m an Artist from Hilo, Hawaii currently living in Los Angeles.

 

Tell us about how you got connected with Rumpl.

I connected with Rumpl through a friend of mine who was looking for an opportunity to do a collab with an original artist. It was kinda cool having a connection with someone from Hawaii and working together on a project on the mainland like this.

 

  • Tell us what it means to work with a company like Rumpl?
  • FWorking with a company is so cool, especially when you’re working with friends. It’s been really cool to execute something on a higher level with the homies.

"Now that I have kids, it’s my responsibility to donate whatever free time I have back to the next generation of kids and hopefully inspire them to follow their dreams."

Artist and father Aaron Kai sketches on a Rumpl blanket outside as his son and dog approach him with snacks.
  • What was the process like taking your designs from canvas to product?  

The process really pushed me to kind of reiterate some of my old designs. The design we did for Rumpl, we picked something that we knew resonated well with people in the past - My interpretation of the Hokusai Great Wave. We kinda revamped that design and gave it a 2023 twist.

 

What motivates you to create? Anything you draw inspiration from?

A lot of my inspiration comes from my upbringing in Hawaii and a lot of the colors you see out there and in nature. Being from Hilo, it rains a lot and everything really grows quickly and pretty lush, so for me growing up the greens were neon green and the flowers were fluorescent yellow. Everything is so vibrant.

Aaron Kai sharing a playful moment with his son, who rides the a Rumpl Original Puffy Blanket across the grass, laughing.
A closer look at the Hokusai Great Wave Stuff Sack and Everywhere Towel, propped up near a jar of paintbrushes in Aaron Kai's studio.

A close up of Aaron Kai's hand drawing some some rough sketches on top of the Rumpl Original Puffy Blanket with his print, the Hokusai Great Wave.

What’s next for you in 2023? What’s coming up?

  • I’ll be going back to Hilo and donated more murals. I’m excited to have more kids come and help us paint those murals and get exposure to the art world.

    What I’m most excited about in 2023 is really starting to give back more. Now that I have kids, it’s my responsibility to donate whatever free time I have back to the next generation of kids and hopefully inspire them to follow their dreams.
Aaron Kai, his wife, and second child hold up the Rumpl Original Puffy Blanket - Hokusai Great Wave

 

Follow Aaron Kai on Instagram @aaronkkai>
Learn more about the Aaron Kai here>

 

SHOP THE AARON KAI COLLAB

Rumpl | Down Puffy Blanket - Woven Daydream | 1-Person | | Printed Down
Rumpl | Stash Mat - Rainbow Fade | One Size | | Stash Mat
Sold out
Rumpl Everywhere Towel - Hokusai Great Wave - Aaron Kai Everywhere Towel - Hokusai Great Wave - Aaron Kai | Rumpl Blankets For Everywhere Everywhere Towel
Sold out


from Rumpl - Journal https://ift.tt/IRw3mkP
https://ift.tt/7l9qrpt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet RAD Artist: Courtenay Pollock

THE BASICS   Name: Courtenay Pollock Residence: Powell River, British Columbia, Canada Occupation: Tie Dye Artist The Rumpl Artist Division (R.A.D.) is a collaborative program that showcases the work of accomplished and upcoming artists who use diverse mediums to inspire creativity in impassioned communities around the world.   LEARN MORE > How did you discover tie dye? The first tie dye I saw was this beautiful woman wearing a tie dyed robe. She was gorgeous and I thought to myself, “I could do stuff with this”. She and her friend used to model for me when I was starting out. I'd set up a stage in the boutique and would wrap them in different exotic fabrics. I’d create live costumery and would sell them as we would make them. What was your first commission? There was a woman opening a meditation room and my first commission was to tie dye the meditation room. She wanted the walls and the floors to all be in one continuous de

Meet RAD Artist Brett Stenson

THE BASICS   Name: Brett Stenson Residence: Portland, OR Occupation: Illustrator & Graphic Designer Our latest RAD collaboration is with Brett Stenson, a Portland-based illustrator and graphic designer. Brett’s style as an artist is largely inspired by the outdoors, his enthusiasm for protecting wildlife and growing up in the Midwest. We caught up with Brett to talk about life, art and his recent collaboration with Rumpl: The Original Puffy Blanket - Fish Are Fly. Who you are and what do you do? My name is Brett Stenson! I am a multi-disciplinary artist, designer, letterer, and haphazardly-ambitious craftsperson who specializes in simplistic illustration, busted folky letters and sculptural figures inspired by the outdoors and our connection to the natural world. One would say, based on my massive and semi-regrettable stomach tattoo that I am indeed from the Midwest, however I lived everywhere from Hilo, Hawaii to Ayer, Massachusetts in